How to Become a Notary Public in California
See the full eligibility requirements here: California Notary Eligibility
- Mandatory Education
- Take the mandatory 6-hour training seminar
- State Exam
- Take the state-administered test (same day of LIVE seminar)
- Bring a $40 check payable to: Secretary of State
- Bring a 2"x2" Color "Passport" Photograph ($10 at seminar)
- Bring a valid photo ID
- Bring a California notary application (will be provided at seminar if you do not bring it)
- The test is:
- 30 questions
- Multiple choice
- 50 minutes to complete
- 70% or higher is a passing grade
- WE GUARANTEE YOU WILL PASS!
- Online Course State Exam Registration:
- Call CPS at (916) 263-3520 or
- Go online to: http://www.cpshr.us/exams/notary/info.html
- You must register AT LEAST two weeks in advance to guarantee a seat. You may show up to an exam location as "stand-by." We recommend you show up at least an hour early.
- Test Scores
You will receive a letter in the mail saying 'You have passed'
- After the seminar, you can go online to: https://cmas.cpshr.us/CMAS/Login.aspx to view your test score. To obtain your password, call CPS at (916) 263-3520. Test results should be posted 8-10 business days after the exam.
- Live Scan
Submit live scan fingerprints to the Department of Justice and FBI for your thorough background check.
- Processing Period
- Wait for your commission paperwork to arrive (4-12 weeks from exam date). For renewing notaries, the commission paperwork for the new commission will be mailed out no sooner than 1 month prior to commission expiration. You can check your notary status at CAnotary.info.
- You can check current processing times here: http://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/processing-times/
- Notary Supplies
Order your official notary stamp/embosser and bond
- Notary Bond
File your 4-year/$15,000 bond and oath of office with the county clerk
- Congratulations, you are a California Notary Public!
Now you can advertise your services on Notary.net. You can also take our Loan Signing Training Course.