How to Become a Notary Public in Oregon
Become a Notary or Reapply for a New Commission
- Complete a training course. (If you are a reapplying notary with a current commission, the steps are the same but you do not need the educational training.)
- Meet the qualifications to be a Notary Public for the State of Oregon
- Submit your application.
- Pass the required online exam.
- Oath of Office.
- After the Oath has been processed you will receive an email from us which includes PDF copies of your Commission Certificate and the Certificate of Authorization.
- Print the Certificate of Authorization and take it to a vendor who makes rubber stamps. If you use an online vendor, it is permissible to email the PDF certificate. This certificate will contain the details of your commission, including your commission name, number and expiration date. The same certificate is used for electronic notarization technology.
- Once you have your stamp and have purchased your notary journal you are ready to notarize. Congratulations! (Please remember; if you have a current commission when you apply, you should wait until the effective date of your new commission to begin using the new stamp.)