Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to complete the training all at once or at a certain time?Andy Johnson
No. The training is on-demand, meaning you can take it whenever you want. You will have 1 year of unlimited access to the course. You can logout and return to where you left off.
For state-approved courses we must keep track of your time in the course. Time is calculated between clicks, so if you are taking a break, be sure to click the next page before you logout.
Do I need to send an ORIGINAL Certificate of Authorization to Notary.net?Andy Johnson
California State Law says we must have an original Certificate of Authorization to Manufacture Notary Public Seals in order to ship a notary seal. A notary seal is any stamp, embosser or electronic stamp that has all the elements meeting the definition of a seal in GC 8207.
If you do not have an original Certificate of Authorization you can request a new one in writing. Customize and use our template to request a new COA: California COA Request Form
You can MAIL your ORIGINAL Certificate of Authorization to:
PO Box 41400
Des Moines, IA 50311-0507
We recommend using PRIORITY MAIL.
You can use UPS or FEDEX to send your Certificate of Authorization to us:
500 New York Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50313
How do I access my course?Andy Johnson
After you have purchased your course, you will receive an email saying that your order is "Completed." Once that email is received that means you can access the course. Access the course through your online account.
Once logged in you will find the course on the left-hand side navigation under "My Courses"
How do I get supplies/bond/insurance from a package I ordered?Andy Johnson
In most states we need your basic notary commission information:
- Notary Name
- Expiration Date
- Commission Number
- Any other pertinent info
Some states require a copy of a commission certificate or other proof, such as Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Missouri, South Dakota, Georgia, and Maryland. California requires you to send us your ORIGINAL Certificate of Authorization to Manufacture Notary Public Seals.
How to renew a CA notary license?Andy Johnson
It is basically the same process for new and renewing California notaries. Things to note:
- A 3-hour state-approved training course fulfills the training requirement for renewing notaries, however, you must take and PASS the state exam PRIOR to your commission expiring. If you do not or will not be able to do this, you must take the 6-hour course.
- You can take the training up to 2 years prior to your expiration date and the state exam up to 1 year prior to your expiration date.
- You can keep your journal as long as you are in the renewal process, even if your commission has expired.
- You must destroy/deface your notary seals when your commission has expired.
- If you no longer are a notary and are not renewing, turn in your journal(s) and records to the county clerk where your bond and oath are on file.
Can you send notary supplies with Next Day Air shipping?Harry Shoemaker
What is an occurrence-based errors and omissions insurance policy?Harry Shoemaker
An occurrence-based policy offers protection for errors and omissions that occurred during the policy term, even if the policy has expired. For example, if Nancy Notary has a $25,000 E&O policy covering her from 1/1/2018 to 1/1/2019 and a customer sues her on 4/1/2022 for a mistake she made on 6/1/2018, the policy would respond.