How to Become a Minnesota Notary
How to Become a Notary Public in Minnesota
- Complete the Online Minnesota Notary Training Course (not required)
- Submit an application to the state.
- The second step is to register your commission with the county you reside in.
- As a nonresident notary register your commission at the Minnesota County that borders the county in which you reside
- Purchase a stamp
- Obtain a journal to record notarial acts (recommended but not required)
- Consider if bonds and insurance are necessary by asking your employer or an insurance provider
- Familiarize yourself with statutory requirements of Chapters 357, 358 and 359 found at leg.state.mn.us
- Register any name or address changes with the Secretary of State within 30 days.
- Renew your commission every 5 years and re-register with the county
- For the location of county offices go to: www.sos.state.mn.us.
- The fee to register and renew with the county is $20 ($20 county recording fee and $120 to state).
Minnesota Notary Supplies