How to Become an Illinois Notary
How to Become a Notary Public in Illinois
- Complete the Online Illinois Notary Training Course (not required)
- Complete your notary application with the name you would like to appear on your certificate. Please understand that all notarizations will need to be performed using this name. Application included in course.
- The Secretary of State determines the effective date of your commission, not the bonding company.
- Notify your bonding company of the effective date of your commission after;
- You have registered with the county clerk. This bond will expire when your commission does.
- Your commission is not complete until you register the appointment with the county clerk's office.
- Do not purchase your notary public seal until you have received your notary commission from the county clerk's office.