This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  LindaHFL 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Has anyone heard of a notary seal with jurat wording pre-printed on it? I got a call today from a notary in California that said their notary friend had one.

LindaHFL
    Participant

Sure they didn’t just mean a jurat stamp? CA is pretty explicit about what is required in their stamps and only authorized vendors can make them – and those vendors know exactly what is required on the official stamps – unless someone had a custom-designed one made at an office supply store without SOS authorization – which I’d bet my life the CA SOS would frown upon…

No, she was talking about 1 stamp with jurat and notary seal on one giant stamp. I hope she was confused. I was also hoping this isn’t widespread. I know CA will not allow this because you cannot seal a document until after you have signed it and filled out the jurat (or acknowledgment).

jmalone

I’ve never heard of it Andy and cannot imagine the SOS okaying this. It would have to be an illegally made stamp.

jwilson
    Participant

I have not heard of that one either.

SANTACLARITANOTARY
    Participant

I just saw this post and can tell you that there is such a thing! I bought one when the new Jurat wording came out I believe in 2008. I used the stamp for awhile and it came in handy; however, it did smudge and the words looked a little fuzzy on a document after a few months so I stopped using it.

I believe I ordered it through the National Notary Association so I would think it had to be legal. They also have a stamp with the Acknowledgment wording on it as well.

LindaHFL
    Participant

@santaclaritanotary wrote:

I just saw this post and can tell you that there is such a thing! I bought one when the new Jurat wording came out I believe in 2008. I used the stamp for awhile and it came in handy; however, it did smudge and the words looked a little fuzzy on a document after a few months so I stopped using it.

I believe I ordered it through the National Notary Association so I would think it had to be legal. They also have a stamp with the Acknowledgment wording on it as well.

You have a stamp containing Jurat wording *AND* your notary seal? Both on the same stamp??

jmalone

I’m with Linda regarding your response SantaClaritaNotary. A lot of us have the individual stamp with correct Jurat wording and some have a stamp with the correct ACK wording. The question Andy originally asked was, if we have seen a Jurat stamp with the notarial seal on it also?

This would be illegal in the State of California to have one large stamp with Jurat wording and your official seal all in one stamp.

I’m sure the XYZ Notary Association does not have this type of stamp. Please clarify your position on this and for those reading, Linda is correct in a previous post, don’t buy into everything you read on Notary forums, always go by what your Notary State Handbook says.

maureenlazar
    Participant

Yes, a single stamp with the Ca Jurat verbiage. It is Legal.
    Can be purchased from some approved Vendors. AVNN was
    carrying them. Im not sure if they currently carry them.
    Definitely would come in handy.

jmalone

I think some of you are missing the point. We all know there is a Jurat stamp with the correct notarial verbiage. Andy is talking about a stamp with Jurat wording and your official notary seal all on the same large stamp.

LindaHFL
    Participant

That’s exactly what Andy was asking – Jurat stamp WITH official notary seal, all inclusive on one stamp – and no I still don’t think this would be legal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.