AIF (attorney in fa...

Notifications
Clear all

AIF (attorney in fact, grantee) needs to sign on my journal?

13 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@Anonymous 1218)

Wife, Janet Smith, (grantee-Attorney In Fact) has the Power Of Attorney from her husband, Joe Smith (grantor).

She signs in their Deed of Trust document, signs & thumb prints in my journal entry.
She also signs her husband's name: Joe Smith by Janet Smith as his attorney-in-fact.

Cool.

Do I need to ask her to sign as her husband in my journal as well? I don't think so. My reason: Her husband's signature is recorded in that POA form and in his Notary Public's journal.

Am I right? 🙂 Thanks for answering this one... Appreciate.

12 Replies
(@Anonymous 1191)
Eminent Member

Of course, I can't see what the document looked like before the wife signed, but it might have just had a blank line for Joe Smith. It isn't always the case that all the signature lines are signed on the same occasion; sometimes the document is mailed around the country to collect the various signatures before various notaries. So if you don't enter in your journal that the wife signed as AIF for the husband, someone might claim she didn't and that some unknown person in some unknown place illegally signed that line.

Since my imagination isn't good enough to predict what might happen in the future, I document everything, in case some question that I can't imagine comes up.

Topic starter
(@Anonymous 1218)

@Geber wrote:

Of course, I can't see what the document looked like before the wife signed, but it might have just had a blank line for Joe Smith. It isn't always the case that all the signature lines are signed on the same occasion; sometimes the document is mailed around the country to collect the various signatures before various notaries. So if you don't enter in your journal that the wife signed as AIF for the husband, someone might claim she didn't and that some unknown person in some unknown place illegally signed that line.

Since my imagination isn't good enough to predict what might happen in the future, I document everything, in case some question that I can't imagine comes up.

The document is a deed of trust. She signed for her husband. That is it.

Oh, in that case... would it be too late to ask her to sign as AIF?, also finger print...because it happened already... My other Notary Public friend has encountered this. Now she would be in trouble if she didn't record the AIF's signature, right? Just how would you id an AIF? It is still the AIF's ID you will write down, not the principal's right because he did not physically present himself. This is really interesting.. Thank you for your input.

(@Anonymous 1187)
Trusted Member

@notarywelove wrote:

@Geber wrote:

The document is a deed of trust. She signed for her husband. That is it.

Oh, in that case... would it be too late to ask her to sign as AIF?, also finger print...because it happened already... My other Notary Public friend has encountered this. Now she would be in trouble if she didn't record the AIF's signature, right? Just how would you id an AIF? It is still the AIF's ID you will write down, not the principal's right because he did not physically present himself. This is really interesting.. Thank you for your input.

Personally I think if the AIF signs your journal individually as you ID'd her you'd be okay to make a note that she also signed as AIF for her husband. But your ID is of her individually. Depending on your location, capacity may be beyond your authority.

JMO

(@Anonymous 1186)
Estimable Member

Hi notarywelove. I am assuming you are in California. You state the wife is the AIF for her husband.
She is the person who physically appeared before you, only her name goes into your notarial certificates, because she is the only one who personally appeared.

In your journal, hers is the only information you record. Remember we notarize signatures. It is not our responsibility to know if she actually has this power.

You can add a note in your journal that states she is signing as AIF for her husband, Joe Doe. Keep it simple.

Page 1 / 3
Share: