Washington Notary Stamp Requirements
RCW 42.45.150; RCW 42.45.160; WAC 308-30-070; WAC 308-30-080; WAC 308-30-090
Once you have received your notary public commission certificate, you can use your commission to obtain one or more notary stamps or seals. The Department of Licensing does not provide notary stamps and seals. You can order your Washington notary stamp here: Washington Notary Stamp
In order to have a stamp or seal made, you must provide a copy of your notary commission certificate to your stamp or seal vendor. Vendors are not allowed to create a notary stamp or seal until they have a copy of the certificate. It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the stamp or seal requirements listed below are met and that all of the information on the stamp is accurate and up to date. If any of the information on the stamp or seal changes, it is your responsibility to have your stamp updated.
It is extremely important that you guard your notary stamp and prevent others from using your stamp. The new notary statute states that “the seal or stamp should be kept in a locked and secured area, under the direct and exclusive control of the notary public,” which generally means that it needs to be kept under lock and key. Even if you work in a secure area, it is vital that the stamp not be accessible by anyone else, both to comply with the law and to ensure the sanctity of your notarial acts.
A Washington notary stamp must contain the following information:
- The words “notary public”
- The words “state of Washington”
- The notary public’s name as commissioned
- The notary public’s commission expiration date
- The notary public’s commission number
- The text on a stamp or seal must be at least 8 point font
- The stamp or seal must be affixed in permanent ink and be capable of being photocopied
- The stamp or seal must be either circular or rectangular.
- If circular, the stamp or seal must be a minimum one and five-eighths inches in diameter.
- If rectangular, the stamp or seal must be a minimum one inch wide by one and five-eighths inches.