Notifications
Clear all

New Notary Application

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@Anonymous 1226)

I just completed the notary course and I am ready for the next step. I have printed out the application for NJ, how do I go about "obtaining endorsement of a member of the Legislature"? From what I'm understanding I have to have that on the application before mailing it in with my check. Or do I fill out my sections, mail it with the check then it's endorsed there. I'm just alittle confused about this step.

7 Replies
(@Anonymous 1186)
Estimable Member

Lbarton812, Since you are in New Jersey, I'm afraid I can't answer your question. You may want to try www.123notary.com or www.notarycafe.com Go on their newbie forums and see if someone from New Jersey can answer your question.

Admin
(@andy)

@Lbarton812 wrote:

I just completed the notary course and I am ready for the next step. I have printed out the application for NJ, how do I go about "obtaining endorsement of a member of the Legislature"? From what I'm understanding I have to have that on the application before mailing it in with my check. Or do I fill out my sections, mail it with the check then it's endorsed there. I'm just alittle confused about this step.

You just contact your legislator and ask them how they want you to proceed. Usually, you send your payment and application to them and they send it to the state.

(@Anonymous 1187)
Trusted Member

@AndyLJohnson wrote:

@Lbarton812 wrote:

You just contact your legislator and ask them how they want you to proceed. Usually, you send your payment and application to them and they send it to the state.

That's scarey - that a legislator would endorse someone they don't even know based on a piece of paper submitted to them. Think NJ ought to revisit that little provision - require a BGC if they don't already and, if they do, revise it to be more in-depth, along with the applicant having to submit three character references.

If I had to do that here it would, seriously, be a joke. My legislators don't know me from Adam so how can they speak to my integrity and endorse me? And you know what? I don't know my legislators either!!

Admin
(@andy)

It's actually an antiquated law where they want the notary to be "well-connected" I guess. Now it is just a formality. You do bring up good points, but doesn't everyone have 3 people that will say they are honest? California is the only state that thoroughly background checks all notaries, but again, that doesn't weed out dishonest people.

Page 1 / 2
Share: